S.M.A.R.T. HDD temperature, too


When I installed Speedfan software to my children's computers I realized it allowed you to measure the HDD temperatures if they are SMART compatible (which they are). So I thought it would be nice too to have such info on my Ubuntu desktop too.

So I google for a moment to learn that hddtemp allows you exactly that: to measure your SMART-compatible HDD temperature from command line: just install it
sudo apt-get install hddtemp
and type
sudo hddtemp /dev/hda 
(or any other drive name you have). It works as expected and you may consider to run it as a daemon so you can use the nice Gnome sensors applet that does a very nice job of showing all the temperature (and fan info if you wish) collected by several means, including acpi, lm-sensors and hddtemp. It is not installed by default so you'll have to install it too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VFD control with Arduino using RS485 link

How to get sinusoidal s-curve for a stepper motor

Stepper motor step signal timing calculation