Buying a slim PC box is not that easy


I've got my new box on Friday. The company I bought it from did a good job at delivering on time but all what happened next has been a mess.

Firstly, when I open the box I discover the color is black and not the silver I have ordered. Not good, I emailed my supplier and they reach me on the cellphone to apologise and to offer me a replacement but not sooner than next week. I thought about it and finally I decided I would be keeping the box after all, just for the sake of getting the system rebuilt over the weekend.

Saturday, early in the morning, I start the process of disassembling the old beige-box components of my PVR. When I am done (and a bit dirty as you know how the inside of a computer is), I unpack the CM Media 260 black box to start building the new system. Manufacturer's instructions ask you to disassemble almost everything first and so do I. I assemble the power supply (not without removing some screws from the power supply to have a smooth top surface). I then place the motherboard and I fix it. And then, where is the PCI raiser card? ... There is not one.

Ok, this is just too much, I cannot build a working system with that. Both tuner cards need to be attached to the system to have any use of it (actually I am not using VGA output). The shop is now closed so they do not answer my calls and email is waiting somewhere in their inbox.

I do not know exactly what to do now, so I rebuild the old system with a cleaner inside now. So, after $200 and two hours I am back to where I was before: I still need a box. Let's see what happens next.

Bu the way, I failed to mention that more than a year ago I bought an Asus Pundit barebone for the same purpose but I had to return it as the DVB card did not fit in. So by now I have bought three different boxes but the system is still inside the ugly mini tower beige box.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VFD control with Arduino using RS485 link

How to get sinusoidal s-curve for a stepper motor

Stepper motor step signal timing calculation